Cao Lầu Noodles in Hoi An - A must-try! (Cao Lao)

Cao Lầu Hoi An Noodles (Cao Lao)

Signature Hoi An Noodles

BBQ pork Cao Lau
BBQ pork Cao Lau
Hoi An, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in central Vietnam, is a city of charm and history. Everywhere I look, the ancient shops and atmospheric streets are just so pretty. I can't deny that this charming city is now very touristy, yet there is so much history to learn here. Hoi An is another city in Vietnam's central region that has an amazing variety of food. Long ago, Hoi An was one of Asia's most important shipping ports, and the city's cuisine has influence from all over the world. For a food lover like me, I very much enjoyed my time here.
 
The first meal that I tried in Hoi An was cao lầu, the signature noodle dish that originate in the city. You can't say you have been to Hoi An until you have this dish. After I arrive in Hoi An, I headed out to Central Market, which is located at the very center of the town in the historic pedestrian area. Central Market isn't only the place where you can find delicious and cheap food, but also souvenirs. It's a real working market where you can see how the locals live their lives in this city.
 
Chicken Cao Lau, Hoi An
Chicken Cao Lau, Hoi An
Cao lầu is made out of a special type of Hoi An noodle, served with the meat of your choice and topped with fried wontons, veggies, and herbs. Cao lầu must be prepared with a certain traditional technique, and the ingredients used make it unique and very special. Cao lầu noodles are a bit firm and chewy, but not too hard. The noodles are unlike any noodle that I have ever tried. The meat that I ordered was a soft and tender marinated BBQ pork - a perfect combination between salty and sweet.

delicious food for sale at Central Market
After exploring the market, I have to say that every shop in Central Market is very similar. The design of the shops and the menu are almost identical. I just searched around and chose the cheapest shop with the friendliest owner. Central Market draws lots of tourists during mealtime, so it can get pretty crowded. Everything looked pretty clean in my view.

My cao lầu cost 25,000d for BBQ pork and 30,000d for chicken. I liked the BBQ pork the most. It's very cheap and filled me up for a long afternoon of exploring the ancient town.

Hoi An Central Market
Hoi An Central Market
Price 25,000 - 40,000d per bowl depending on shop and ingredients



Comments